Pet Travel

Pet Travel

Since 2021 the old UK Pet Passport is no longer valid for taking your pets to the EU or the rest of the world. We can offer the Animal Health Certificate (AHC) that is required for non-commercial transport of pets to the EU and can also issue Export Certificates for the rest of the world.

Requirements for each type of certificate vary but most require permanent identification of the pet (a microchip) plus certain vaccination and parasite controls. Our advice is to plan well ahead and contact us as soon as you know your pet will be travelling abroad. If new vaccinations are needed the process may take several weeks before your pet will be certified for travel.

Animal Health Certificate (AHC) - for EU travel

The UK's animal health certificate (AHC) is a document that proves that your pet is healthy and doesn't have any diseases that could be harmful to other animals or humans. It's important to get an AHC if you're bringing your pet to the UK or taking it to a European Union country, because the UK wants to make sure that no animals with diseases come into the country.

To get an AHC, you need to take your pet to the vet. The vet will check your pet's health and make sure they're up-to-date on their vaccinations. They'll also give you a document that proves your pet has been vaccinated against rabies.

Once your pet has been vaccinated, the vet will fill out the AHC. The AHC will have your pet's name, microchip number, and breed. It will also say that your pet has been vaccinated against rabies and that they're healthy.

The AHC is valid for 10 days from the date it's issued. This means that you need to bring your pet to the UK or the EU within 10 days of getting the AHC. If you're going to be taking your pet on a longer journey, you'll need to get a new AHC before you travel.

Here are some of the key things to remember about the AHC:
  • Your pet needs to be microchipped.
  • Your pet needs to have been vaccinated against rabies.
  • If your pet is coming from a country that is not listed as rabies-free, they will also need to have a blood test for rabies.
  • The AHC must be signed and dated by an Official Veterinarian.
  • The AHC must be valid for 10 days from the date it is issued.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Put in your main email address below to get the latest news and pet care tips!